SC - Grits--OT OOP RECIPE!

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Sep 24 07:29:31 PDT 1998

Shari Burnham writes:

>Can someone tell me
which fish have salt AND fresh water varieties?  Do we have any
ichthyologists? or
amateur ones at least?<

Actually, the most noted fish with both varieties are the eels and salmon,
and it's not two different varieties, it's that they both spawn in fresh
water, go out to the ocean to live for a while, and return to fresh water
again to spawn and die. There are both varieties of clams and mussels. The
trouble with having both types is that their survival srategies are
different- the modifications and evolution of sea fish have to cause the
excess sea salt to stay out of their systems, and the fresh water types
have to retain salt in their systems. The resulting evolution provides two
different species, with different physical characteristics so that they're
called different names.

Exceptios like eels and salmon have to make the transition as babies, when
it's easier for them to adapt- the switch back to freshwater as adults is
believed to be the major reason that salmon and, some believe, eels, die
after spawning.

The only other fish which has two varieties, either salt or fresh, are
perch, as far as I know. If you wish to include porpoises which are
mammals, I suppose you could.

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,