SC - Outdoor Ovens

Thu Sep 24 07:31:47 PDT 1998

Check out the last link on my website
(http://members.tripod.com/~AoifeFinn/index.html), for the Beehive Oven
(four photos and some instructions---loads slowly). I have since built and
used 2 more, as well as other portable baking methods (you'd be amazed at
what works). I got my initial info from Alia Atlas, but believe I may have
surpassed the generous lady's oven experiments at this point. Check out
also the web-pages of Regia Anglorum, which give a good description of a
beehive and a cross-cut diagram,  but no sources.

This weekend I will be testing the "baking in a huge kettle" theory (you
know---the modern medieval myth of ancestors laying a board across the
bottom and then using the kettle as an oven). That's if I can get someone
to construct a wooden lid for my huge pot. We'll see. I'd appreciate any
sources of descriptions of this method, should anyone happen to come across
them. Frankly, I expect it will work just as well as any other method.

E-mail me privately if you wish more info, unless You-all want to hear this
stuff at length. I seem to have collected a fair amount of primitive oven
trivia in the ol' brain-pan, including construction techniques and how to
bake over a fire *without* going through all that mud-slinging.

Warning: Be prepared for the kitchen area to be a high-traffic tourist
area. Folks want to see the oven in all phases of building and operation.
You might want to post a "no rubbernecking without volunteering" sign!

Toodles

Aoife

> Anne-Marie said...
 It occurred to us that it might be fun to build and use a brick oven.
> I know there's a couple folks on this list with experience in building
and  using such things...so lay it on me!....

> So I added.....
>  I too am very interested in the construction of ovens. I want to build
one  next year when I do a challenge and recreate a field kitchen at an
event.
I  am just starting to dip my fingers into the well of research and would
> appreciate any input and direction on where I should be looking. I am
> assuming it makes a difference as to what geography I'm looking at and
time  frame. Since I know practically nothing of kitchens in the middle
ages
any  opinions on this would be MOST appreciated as well.