SC - time

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Thu Sep 24 17:34:30 PDT 1998

Osgot:

Sounds like you're having fun with this cookbook. You might want to rethink
the texture of the dishes that are called Pfeffer in the original. This
generally refers to a softer texture. In the back of Hans Wiswe's
_Kulturgeschichte der Kochkunst_ there's a great dictionary by Eva Hepp of
medieval technical words related to cooking and she defines it as a Sauce
or Fleishbruehe thickened with bread crumbs giving a number if citations.
Sounds looser than a pate, maybe spoonable instead of spreadable.

The word 'netz' in the Klobwurst probably refers to a caul or omentum,
according to my modern German dictionary. Okay, you butcher types, just
what exactly is that? I thought it was a membrane wrapped around a fetus,
is that right? What could be substituted?

I really recommend Wiswe's book, by the way. It gets cited a lot by most
writers on German medieval food. It's out of print but should be pretty
easy to get through interlibrary loan. No, I didn't save the ISBN.

Hans Wiswe. Kulturgeschichte der Kochkunst. Munich: Hans Moos Verlag, 1970.

Valoise