SC - Greetings

Marian DeBorah Rosenberg Marian.DeBorah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Fri Sep 25 08:20:53 PDT 1998

Osburn-Day, Katherine wrote:

> I believe the single Ave Maria prayer itself to be
> from very early usage in the Church - perhaps second century if I am not
> mistaken.

The first half, of course, is in at least one of the Gospels, so would
presumably be known by some early Christians in the first century C.E., even
assuming the four known authors were old men when they wrote them.

> It is likely, in that context, that timing based on an Ave Maria
> is less than a minute.  If spoken slowly and carefully as you suggest (and
> are more than likely right) perhaps it might go to a minute.  I doubt there
> are any records of the tempo and rhythm the would have used when they said
> it.

Well, the Latin is slightly shorter than the English version, but I'm thinking
if it were breezed through, it become fairly useless as a method of measuring
time, just as kids who say, "One, Mspi, Two, Mspi, Three," etc., aren't
actually measuring anywhere near close to a one-second increment. It would
seem impossible for any consistency to be maintained if people held contests
to see how quickly and badly they could say it. Joke filter on -- Av...men!
There! I just said the entire Ave Maria in .6 seconds! That's how long to
reheat that sugar, folks! OTOH, saying it clearly, if not especially slowly,
you get something a little more usable as a cooking time, even if it isn't
especially consistent.

Adamantius, off on a date with a Northern Pike!
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com