SC - dried milk

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Sep 27 06:32:12 PDT 1998

At 4:00 PM -0500 9/26/98,  JEN AND THOM CONRAD wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>I'm in the process of helping to form a culinary guild within our
>barony.  Does anyone have any helpful hits, ideas, warnings, etc.

My suggestions are:

Make it clear from the start that the guild exists to promote knowledge of
period cooking, not to run feasts. Otherwise you risk a situation where
joining the guild is interpreted as volunteering to help cook the next
feast, which may drive off some people. Ideally, the guild should be seen
as a place where a chief cook can go to get information, and to ask for
assistance, but not as the  people responsible for cooking feasts.

We have done lots of cooking workshop in our house, where we select period
recipes from primary sources and do the shopping, then when people show up
(typically starting about 1 P.M. Saturday) each one picks one recipe and
cooks it. When something is done, everyone tastes it and makes comments.
The comments and the description of how it was done (we tell our people to
measure and record everything) go into the computer, along with the
original, as a first aproximation to a worked out recipe. It's fun,
sociable, and introduces people to the idea that they can actually take a
recipe written down in period and figure out a plausible interpretation.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/