SC - Newest Issue of PPC

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Sun Sep 27 14:03:11 PDT 1998

- --- You wrote:
Marian,

>>I'm in the canton of Spiaggia Levantina in Atlantia.

But, as of right now, I am 85 miles from their regular meeting place.
(And 90 miles from the alternative)<<

How close is that to Pittsburgh, PA, and do you have transportation?  We

- ---
Umm, can't say offhand.  I'm directly across the bay from Baltimore city (so,
unless I swim, I have to go miles out of my way to get there).  Though,  I
suppose going north, I wouldn't need to make the trip around to the bay bridge.

I do not have transportation, but I can probably hitch a ride there from a
student . . . getting back, I might need help.
- ---

can always use help, of whatever level, in the Debatable Lands kitchens,
and I would LOVE to have cooking buddies at home!  Even a week-end guest.
 It's great fun when people come over to work on recipes or feast prep,
or just go through the books and research.

 If you are allowed to cook in your dorm room, Waji's idea of a 2 burner
hot plate is a good one.  I found one for around $25 at Walmart's a year
or so ago.  During a 3 month stay in a hotel room, I used a cooler and
the hotel ice machine for a frig and a $2.00 sandwich grill/waffle iron,
from a garage sale, for hot food.  It's surprising what you can do.
Buy
a crock pot and practice on pottages (soup/stew sorts of recipies).  Even
if you can't cook, you have a university library there, with Interlibrary
loan, and you can do the reading and become familiar with a lot of the
works.

- ---
It isn't worth the effort to attempt cooking in the dorm.  The only grocery
store is 3/4 of a mile away . . . and I'm on foot.
- ---

When you go to events, stop in at the kitchen and volunteer.

- ---
I have every intent of doing so . . .

If I go to events . . . in about an hour or so, I'm going to be phoning the
people who were *supposed* to have picked me up and give them the reaming of
their lives.  (warning, I'm about to rant) Pissed off can adequately describe
the person who has missed a ride.  But the person who has also spent *five*
hours in a McDonalds waiting for a ride that never shows, and then discovering
that cabs won't go down to there to pick her up, and has to hitch a ride back
to school, is absolutely stark raving mad.  They better have a really good
excuse why they weren't there.  I did not go out of my way to get my tent, and
my pack, and my sleeping bag from home, so that I could sit in a McDonalds
watching people look at me like some kind of foreign being.  (Well, I was doing
my Chaucer homework, and then reading Euclid.)

Okay, I'm done yelling now.