SC - Culinary Guild

weymouth@iceweasel.org weymouth at iceweasel.org
Sun Sep 27 14:19:40 PDT 1998

Elise Fleming wrote:

> Also in this issue is “Food and Drink at the Restoration, as seen
> through the diary, 1660-1669, of Samuel Pepys.  The article was written
> by Gilly Lehmann.  While OOP, the material presented by Pepys helps us
> learn about some modern items which were still novelties in the
> mid-1600s.  I was surprised to see that the primary meat served at most
> every meal was venison.  (Not the ubiquitous SCA chicken!)

See also Michelle Berriedale-Johnson's "Pepys At Table", which includes a lot
of information about the foood references in Pepys' diaries, with redacted
recipes for many of the dishes Pepys mentions, from roughly contemporary
sources such as Robert May and Kenelm Digby.

One might also, of course, look directly at the works of Robert May and/or
Kenelm Digby.

Digby, BTW, doesn't seem to suggest to me that venison appears at almost every
meal (I would have said mutton was more common), but then Pepys was not Digby,
and vice versa.

None of this, of course, is any kind of criticism of PPC...by all means
subscribe if you can; it has some wonderful stuff. I think my favorite is
still the article on hand-thrown (as in pizza) oatcakes in Northern England.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East

- --
Phil & Susan Troy