SC - Harvest Days in (near) Dayton, Ohio

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Mon Sep 28 21:37:11 PDT 1998

I was looking up some info on the lebkuchen in some of my German
referances, and noticed the statement that carp is traditionally cooked
in Germany on Christmas Eve, as it goes back to the monks' ponds.
Evidently, they kept carp as a staple.  The fattening of the Christmas
carp might begin as early as August.  So, as soon as we're home from
Pennsic, we rush out and feed the fish!!!  They didn't say what was used
to fatten the carp, or what monks used in place of cardboard boxes of
fish flakes.

My German family has a herring salad, with beets, for Christmas eve and
other special family events, but I think that comes from the
great-grandfather who was a trader based in Riga, Russia.  Which brings
us back to lebkuchen.

These spice cakes/cookies were developed from a happy mixture of the
Franconian honey trade and the Pfeffersa"cke, the 'peppersacks' as
Nure"mberg's prosperous medieval merchant adventurers were called.
"Commercial gingerbread was baked by the members of an exclusive guild,
known as Lebku"chler."  Scharfenberg, Horst.  _The Cuisines of Germany_,
Simon & Schuster, Inc., 1989.  Definately prepared for the modern USA
market, but good food and sometimes interesting info.  (The quotation
marks in German words are attempting to be umlauts)

Regards,

Allison, who is not a spoon tease, I don't have the herring salad recipe.
 It's SECRET and I don't remember because I only helped with it once, 13
years ago.  There's green stuff, and chopped pickled beets, and chopped,
cooked herring, and chopped, pickled gherkins and more stuff.

allilyn at juno.com