SC - Lavender and pregnancy

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Sat Sep 5 00:23:35 PDT 1998

Ras Wrote:

>I certainly was not offended in any way. Just curious. Still am as to what the
>'supposed' harm is. For instance, beets contain cyanide. Is the cautionary
>statement referring to a real problem or is it referring to the detected
>presence of some chemical as in beets which is really harmless. That was the
>basis for my inquiry. The 'responsible pregmamcy statement was given from the
>memory of the rue controversy which is harmless in the amounts used in
>cookery. If there is a definite case history of lavender being harmful I think
>it would be a good idea to know this and why it is so. As they say, inguiring
>minds need to know. :-)

  I checked it out.  The reason my friend gave me this warning was because
Lavender in large amounts does have an action of strenghtening a womans
menstrual cycle.  While she admits that it would take a large amount to do
cause a woman to miscarry, there is a slight risk there.  This does not
stop the woman from having Lavender tea on a semi regular basis, and it
doesn't stop her from using lavender in cooking (I'm pregnant myself and it
don't stop me).  It does mean that if a pregnant woman decided to drink
gallons of lavender tea in one sitting, or eat large quantity of something
with lots of lavender os a seasoning every night for six months, there is a
small chance that she will miscarry.  The warning is merely one of the
standard things that you tell people about such herbs.  There are also
standerd warnings out on Marjoram, thyme, parsley and nutmeg, but it's not
like that is the be all and end all of such matters. Again these are fine
taken in normal amounts.  I just thought I'd bash the standard warning in
there because I don't want to see anyone get hurt.
That's the long and short of it.

- -Sianan

Marina Denton
sianan at geocities.com

        Logic is a systematic way of arriving at the wrong conclusion in
	confidence.