SC - Question - Recipes for the low budget

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Sep 11 08:12:35 PDT 1998

hiya from ANne-Marie

cheap medieval food? hmmm.
most stews are primarily meat, so that's out.
think fast day, when frugality was the order of the day anyway.
- --benes yfryd, ie a can of garbanzos or fava, carmelized onions and  a bit
of spice
- --frumenty, barley or wheat cooked with milk, spice and a bit of egg
- --there's probably a recipe for anything that's on sale. When its turnip
season, make turnips in the Beusse fashion, ie with butter and spice. If
you find lamb for $2 a pound, make a paste en pot du mouton. Yum!
- --wardyns in syrop...canned pears, red wine and spice
- --if you have access to your own fresh herbs (ie dont have to buy them) a
ruzzige cake is cheap, ie bread baked with cheese, parsley and sage on top.

theres a fair amount out htere. Also, there's nothing that say you need to
make a huge pot of anything...when I was doing the testing for our
Elizabethan banquet, we'd make very small batches so as not to break the
bank (ie buying a single turkey breast instead of a whole turkey, etc)

hope this helps!
- --AM