SC - side of pork

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Wed Sep 16 12:34:51 PDT 1998

My dear friend Phillipa asks:

 Ok, but a side of pork seems HUGE to me.  Pigs are big. No?
Phillipa

Why a nice Jewish girl like yourself is asking such a question...;-)

Pigs come in all sizes. You can get them from about 50-60 lbs, as in the
pot-belly pigs, such as we butchered for a small pig roast that we had here
on the farm, to the 500 lb+ monstosities that some people breed. An average
gilt, ready to butcher, will weigh somewhere around 250 lbs. By the time
they're butchered, cleaned, etc, you only have about 40 or 50 % of the
weight, or about 100 tp 125 lbs. Cut it in half, and allow for the bones,
and you have about 30-50 lbs of meat, which is certainly a small enough
amount for 20 people to eat in a couple of days- I used to go to a
steakhouse which served 24 oz steaks, which is a pound and a half.

Phlip

Phlip at bright.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,