SC - Dinner for an Arthurian Idyll

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 18 06:00:59 PDT 1998

Excerpts from internet.listserv.sca-cooks: 18-Sep-98 Re: SC - Dinner for
an Arth.. by "Ron and Lori"@email.msn
> Ok, imay be asking a dumb question. Isn't Pottage the same as Soup. If so
> how do you serve soup with a white sauce. unless you mean a cream soup,
> which is not the understanding I had from the following recipe.
> Thorbjorn the Cook (looking confused-again)

My impression reading the recipes is that pottage can be interpreted as
either soup or stew -- in this case, I'm interpreting it as "stew", so a
vegetable stewed in liquid, served wet and saucy, as opposed to dry and
saucy.  I may be wrong, but it seems to work and fit the recipes.

toodles, margaret