SC - question about period wededings

Michael Macchione ghesmiz at UDel.Edu
Fri Sep 18 08:23:26 PDT 1998

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> > Damn all the SCA people who want period weddings.  I generally don't approve
> of them>
>
> Greetings All!
> 	May I ask, Sianan, why you don't approve of period weddings?  Is it *just*
> the work involved (admittedly a lot) or on a person/religious/solemn level?
> Also, is the Barony/shire/parent group put to the expense of the wedding or do
> the bride & groom kick in bucks?  It would seem an awful financial burden to
> the group, don't you think?

Personally, I don't object to Scadians getting married in a period style.
(assuming they actually research it).  I tend to have trouble with people
who build events around a wedding.  You tend to have the families looking
confused and out of place.  All of the close friends (ie the people
you would have invited to a normal wedding as guests) are doing all the
work.  And you wind up paying for the couple's wedding.   Not my idea of
either a wedding ro an event that I would want to attend.  Unfortunaetly
they are becoming rather commonin my area.

On the other hand, I was once invited to a wedding where the couple paid
for the hall and the food (as expected) but had a Medieval theme.  The
wedding party was in garb.  They researched a medival wedding style,
including the exchange of dowerys.  They hired caterers and supplied them
with a menu and recipes.  Thatwedding was more enjyable then many others
I had been to.

Now, in an attemp to bring this closer to topic.....

Most of the "medieval weddings" that I have seen have been aimed at the
nobility.  What kind of wedding ceremonies and celebratory feasts would
the lower classes have held?
Would they have held extravagnat (for peasants) day long  ceremonies or
simple quick exchange of vows... (ok. now they're married.. back to work)

Would it be common place for the local lord to supply food for a wedding
or would the families try to "make do" with whatever supplies the happen
to have around at the time  (perhaps saving up an extra pig or lamb for
the occasion)

Kael