SC - Catching & Cooking carp

Diana Skaggs upsxdls at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 22 15:18:33 PDT 1998

Anne-Marie,
        Please don't malign carp.  I have spent several enjoyable weekends
catching these goldfish looking fish. We caught lots on the Little Blue
River near Grand Lake in northeastern Oklahoma using a mixture of Wheaties
cereal and strawberry soda.

I have prepared carp two ways:
        1.  Remove head and skin.  Cut into chunks and place in wide-mouth
pint canning jars.  Add 1 tsp salt per pint.  Can in a pressure canner.
IIRC, it takes 90 minutes at 15 lbs pressure.  Resulting fish can be used in
recipes calling for canned salmon.
        2.  Remove head and outer skin (there is a thin, papery inner skin
after you take off the skin with the scales).  Cut along the spine and
remove fillets.  Place fillets skin side down on a cutting board.  Using a
very sharp, thin knife, make slices through the fish to - but not through -
the skin approximately the width of a thick slice of bacon.  Drench in an
egg & buttermilk mix, then dredge in a seasoned 1/2 cornmeal & 1/2 flour
mixture.  Deep fry until golden.

Leanna of Sparrowhaven - who remembers when "hunger was the best sauce"
upsxdls at okstate.edu