SC - Ave Maria runtime and sugar - long

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 24 08:27:22 PDT 1998

Cindy Renfrow wrote:

> Now, if I'm understanding correctly, once I pour the mixture onto the
> rice-floured slab, the mixture should solidify and become brittle like a
> plate & not remain soft like a taffy. Is that correct?

In theory, yes. It's supposed to be brittle like a plate, I assume. The test
with the fingers seems to be a primitive method of assuring it has cooked to
somewhere between the hard ball and hard crack stages.

> Will the rice flour
> brush off once the plate has cooled, or will it be stuck on?

Some of it will probably stick, but not enough to radically change the color.
It should still be an opaque yellowish color (remember those Mary Jane candies?)

> We have the option of decorating the plate with flower petals.   It says to
> "put [th]em in whan [th]e suger comes first fro [th]e fyre"  Won't the heat
> damage the petals?

I'd assume so, but I think the petals are there as an aromatic more than a
decoration. Remember this stuff is pretty near opaque, and if you put the
petals in after it first comes from the fire, there is  a good deal of
stirring in their future. I doubt many of them would be visible in the
finished product.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --