SC - German Anyone?

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Sep 24 18:03:30 PDT 1998

Valoise asks:

The word 'netz' in the Klobwurst probably refers to a caul or omentum,
according to my modern German dictionary. Okay, you butcher types, just
what exactly is that? I thought it was a membrane wrapped around a fetus,
is that right? What could be substituted?

A caul is a translucent membrane such as that wrapped around a fetus, but
the word can also be used to refer to the abdominal caul, or omentum, which
is one of the layers protecting the intestines. In the case of the
abdominal caul, it is frequently spotted with pockets of fat. The omentum
is the membrane I had thrown away while butchering the pregnant rabbit for
Ras, which he was thinking was part of the uterus. It's easy enough to
separate out if you have a sure hand with a knife while gutting and
skinning your animal. I really couldn't think WHAT you'd use as a
substitute. Its function in a recipe would most likely be to encapsulate
food, and help keep it moist, much as we use aluminum foil for today, but
also for adding fat.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches