SC - Angelfood

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 5 11:23:21 PDT 1999

	From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
	Subject: Re: SC - Eating dairy on Chanukah

	Margo writes:

	>My favourite example is "To Make a
	>Fine Brede" which comes out very much like angelfood cake - which
doesn't
	>prove that angelfood cake is period, but shows that something like
it was
	>known back then.

	I seem to remember a discussion about this a long time ago--before
this
	list existed. If it is the recipe I remember, the instructions
didn't say
	anything about beating egg whites stiff--which is a rather specific
and
	striking thing to do with them--so it wasn't clear whether what was
being
	made was something like angelfood cake or something more like Prince
	Biscuit. There are a lot of different things that can come out of
the same
	list of ingredients.

	Perhaps if Margo can provide the actual reference and/or recipe, we
can see
	how clear it is that the "very much like angelfood cake" conclusion
follows
	from it.

I forgot to bring it in, I'll try to remember to look tonight.  The recipe
for "Make a Fine Brede" doesn't say anything about beating the egg whites
stiff, and my dedactions didn't do this, so I wonder about your comment?
The only thing I could not figure out was when to add the other ingredients.
It was all supposed to be "beaten" and "mingle[d] together wele" which in
and of itself incorporates air into the mixture.  I called it angelfood
based upon the texture at the end, which was more like a cake and not like
prince-biskit.

Also, prince-bisket uses whole eggs, not just the whites, and this has an
effect on the end product.  Whites alone hold more beaten-in air than whole
eggs, because the fat in the yolks works against the protein in the whites
(simplified kitchen chemistry lesson).  When the batter/dough for "Make a
Fine Brede" is baked, it rises in the pan and gets a soft crumb in the
middle.

More tomorrow.

							---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
	           |/ margolh at nortelnetworks.com <mailto:margolh at nt.com>  *
Hablutzel at compuserve.com <mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com>
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!