SC - Hot Chocolatl

Tue Apr 6 14:09:26 PDT 1999

Thanks, Cindy. Here's what I got, in case anyone's interested:

*The Receipt of him who wrote at <i>Marchena</i>, is this: Of
*<i>Cacaos</i>, 700, of white Sugar, one pound and a halfe, Cinnamon,
*2. ounces; of long red pepper, 14, of Cloves, halfe an ounce: Three
*pods of the Logwood or Campeche tree; or in steade of that, the weight
*of 2 Reals, or a shilling of Anniseeds; as much of <i>Agiote</i>, as
*will give it the colour, which is about the quantity of a
*Hasellnut. Some put in Almons, kernells of Nuts, andOrenge-flower-water.

Now to the questions:

What is meant by 700 of cacao? Is that the number of seeds, the number of
pods, or a weight?

14 long red peppers- any perticular preferred variety? Or would the
now-common Big Slim work well? Anybody know anything about the original
varieties available in that time period? I know there's been a LOT of breed
improvement since then.

What is the Logwood or Canpeche tree?

What is agiote?

Thanks again,

Phlip

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

When pompous people irk me with their regal attributes,
It pleases me to imagine how they'd look in bathing suits.