SC - illusion meat strawberries

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 20:28:44 PDT 1999

Corwyn replied to my question:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> > Do these really end up red? The saunders I bought at Pennsic is a bright
> >  brownish orange not red. I keep imagining orange strawberries.
>
> The two test batches I did turned out just fine.. the fat from the cooking
> meat, and the roasting I suppose, tend to darken them a bit. Also, the
> saunders I got was a good dark red. I haven't opened the most recent package
> of Saunders, but at this point.. weeeelllll, it's what I got<G>.

Corwyn, are you cooking these after applying the saunders and the seeds? Or
before applying the saunders and the seeds?

I can see the saunders darkening if it was cooked but even then not to
the bright fire-engine red I think of when I think of strawberries. Or
do you mean there was enough moisture after the meatballs were cooked
to darken the saunders?

I found the message below from Ras but it's not in the Florilegium, yet.

Stefan

> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 19:34:22 EST
> From: LrdRas <LrdRas at aol.com>
> Subject: Re: SC - Meatballs
>
> charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au writes:
>
> << The Anglo Norman Culinary collections, ed Hieatt and Jones, include a
>  'soteltie' of sorts, of 'oranges' - actually meatballs made of pork mince
>  and eggs, boiled, then grilled and rolled in egg yolk and saffron to make
>  them golden, then dusted in sugar.  >>
>
> This sounds similar to an illusion food I made several years ago and have
> unfortunately lost. :-(
>
> I made meatballs from forecemeat (beef, IIIRC) and made them somewhat pointy
> on one end. I then boiled and browned them; let them cool. Then I rolled
> them
> in saunders powder. Dipped them in beaten egg white and rerolled them in
> sesame seeds. The addition of a fresh mint leaf on top and VOILA! a
> Strawberry. (At least until you bit into it. :-)
>
> Ras
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: