SC - Hot Chocolatl

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Apr 6 20:42:47 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Ah...this makes more sense. :-) Was Achiote imported to Europe at a date
> within period?
>
> Ras

I'm not sure, but then since we're discussing a beverage as made in
Spanish colonies in the New World, I believe, it hardly seems to matter much.

As a matter of fact, I recall reading about rather early (albeit not
period) usage for annatto in the processing of Cheddar Cheese: it was
apparently added as early as the late eighteenth / early nineteenth
century for its orangey color, and not just in American-made versions of
the product, either.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy