SC - Index to Uncle Eli's Haggadah

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Tue Apr 6 20:54:33 PDT 1999

Phlip asked:

> Anybody have a recipe for the period chocolate mixed with hot peppers, which
> was the original drink sent to Europe? Redactions and originals with docs
> would be preferred......

The following are from the chocolate-msg file in the FOOD-SWEETS
section of my Florilegium. There is more about these particular reports
and books in the file. There is also a source given for cocoa beans. Also
some reports on the preparing of chocolate but without the recipe that
might be useful. these two recipes may be the same one mentioned earlier
but I don't know.

Stefan

- ----------------
> I here is the recipe I have from 1631 published by Antonio Colmenero who
> had
> taken it from a Marchena physician;
>
>             700 cocoa beans
>             1 1/2 lbs. white sugar
>             2 ozs of cinnamon
>             14 long red peppers
>             1/2 oz of clove
>             3 cods of logwood or Campeche tree - similar to fennell
>                  or instead use
>             the weight of 2 reals (or a shilling) of anniseeds
>             as much Achiote to give it the color of hazelnut

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****