SC - Fw: [SCA-AE] Re: coffee?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Apr 7 09:27:37 PDT 1999

Over the Easter weekend I did some test cooking and thought some of you
might be interested in the Icelandic Chicken (from Cariadoc's Miscelleny)
results.
I decided to try different dough for the two halves, so for one half I used
organic wheat flour, and for the other organic stone-ground spelt flour. The
spelt was a lot harder to knead into a stiff dough as the recipe requests,
but once there, 'stayed' a lot better than the wheat dough (sorry, I'm not a
frequent baker so don't know the terms, if any).
The wheat dough took about 10 minutes longer to cook although it was the
same thickness, and was bland in the parts not flavoured by the bacon, sage
or juices. I chopped up and made stew out of the leftovers (de-boning it was
a pain) and that was very tasty - the dough came out like cubes of flavoured
suet, which normally I dislike, but this time actually enjoyed.
The spelt dough came out like a reasonably fine wholegrain bread in both
colour and texture. It was harder on the crust and much denser than the
wheat dough, requiring a bit more soaking in the juices whilst eating, but
it wasn't tough. It had a lot more taste of itself and I liked it much more.

Other than that, the dried sage I used was fresh (inasmuch as dried can be
fresh!) and in leaf form rather than the chopped stuff we usually get, and
quite strong tasting. My guinea pigs also really liked the dish and gave the
recipe the Big Green Light for feasts.
In summary, I think I'll stick to using spelt flour for this recipe in
future - and cut down on the sage.

Cordialmente
Lucretzia
Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia   |  mka Tina Nevin
Thamesreach Shire, The Isles, Drachenwald | London, UK
thorngrove at geocities.com | http://www.geocities.com/~thorngrove
"There is no doubt that great leaders prefer hard drinkers to good
versifiers" - Aretino, 1536