SC - Odd grains (was wheat vs. spelt)

kat kat at kagan.com
Fri Apr 9 11:45:44 PDT 1999

Greetings!  Since I get the digest version I am cutting and pasting
several people's comments...

Lady Elisabeth wrote:
>I am not interested in teaching but am interested in attending.  I
>will only be at Pennsic for a few days though, so any info on classes
>would be welcomed.  especially dates (so far it looks like wed thru
>sun am the final week)

I will try to post some of the tentative cookery classes when I receive
a few more.  If you don't see a post by the beginning of June, jog my
memory and I will send it to the List.  I just received several classes
from Duke Cariadoc/David and from Mistress Christianna but haven't had
time to stick them into time slots yet.

Ras wrote:
>Which discussions di you find particularly 'good'? And out of them
>which would you see as possible class material?

I do wish my memory were good enough to come up with specific topics.
I delete the digests after I read them and am just left with "good
feelings".  I do recall, however, that you discussed quite a bit about
"variety" meats.  Adamantius always seems to sum up stuff well and my
guess is that if you both think back about some of the "wrapping up"
comments to certain threads, you will find topics that would make
marvelous hour-long classes.  Both of you (and there are probably
others on the list, but you two come to mind) know a lot about the
common things that cooks should know, and have the information
(seemingly! <g>) based on medieval practices.  What have you all been
discussing that the neophyte cook should know but doesn't?  What stuff
have you been sending to the List to help those of us who "don't know
any better"?  And (not too tongue in cheek) what about a class on
interpreting recipes using the danged cuskynoles as an example???

Frederich Holstein der Tollhase wrote:

>1  What about a class on how to translate a non English language based
>recipe, such as German, French or Spanish into English.

>How to use modern dictionaries to begin.  How to avoid the I am a
>Danish vs I am Danish.  Some etymology of non English languages.  What
>are some typical translated words?  Common grammar or usage mistakes.

These might take a more specialized person than we have here, but I
recall that Antoine de Bayonne and Robin from Settmore Swamp (mind
blanks on SCA name) have worked with translating Spanish.  A class
showing how to use library resourses (Robin??) or what one found out
while translating their own sources...

>2   How to contact foreign government to find period recipes.  Hum
>Maybe I will try a middle eastern country to find that source for
>hummus we have been looking for.

>Feasts for beginners.

We often have lots of the latter but to date I have had nothing on how
to set up kitchens, how to scale up recipes, how to garnish dishes or
set up the feast hall, how to avoid poisoning guests... (We just had
that thread on helping someone on the List prepare her first big feast.
 There was a discussion on warming ovens, etc...)

Mistress Christianna wrote:
>I have noticed many more cooking classes in the Pennsic book than
>herbal classes, and a few 'Beginning Feastcratting' classes, but how
>about something more specific, yet still geared to a certain level?
>ie. 'Coffins for Hidden Subtleties'  or 'Basic Sauces Found in
>Medieval Recipies'.  That way, someone who is new gets more meat out
>of a class than the basic overview.  One hour is not much time to
>cover a lot of material, so in-depth specifics work well, IMO.
>Whatcha think?

That is just the kind of thing I was hoping we'd get.  We've had an
abundance of "Beginning Feastocratting" and need more of this middle
level.  Here is where I think Ras, Adamantius, and forgive me for not
naming other names but there are more of you out there...Phlip
maybe?...who have the info but maybe lack the confidence that they know
enough on a particular topic.  So... you could band together and each
do half an hour or one do meats and the other do the sauces that go
with the meats; or one do a particular food and the other do the
sources where you can find those recipes...  I feel like a cheerleader
here... Come on and think back about how you all sent messages back and
forth on particular topics.  What might you be willing to stand up and
talk about at Pennsic?

Alys Katharine