SC - Pennsic cooking classes

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Apr 12 08:54:10 PDT 1999

I note that no one has stated the size of the feasts in question.  As feast
sizes increase, the logistics of preparation, serving and clean up become
more difficult and labor intensive.  I've handled a feast for 120 including
the clean up with a kitchen staff of two.  A feast for 400 required someone
on the dishes through the feast, but the final clean up was easier, because
we were able to clean as we worked.  We also had a clean up crew to finish
off the dishes and clean the kitchen and the hall.

As a general rule below 200 at the feast, I try to work with a minimal crew
and I participate heavily in the clean up.  Over 200, I try to have extra
people to relieve the kitchen staff and to handle clean up.  My role becomes
that of supervisor.

The only time I have ever left the clean up completely in someone else's
hands was after a brutal nine hours of trying to salvage a feast that had
been preceded by a 500 mile night drive with the last 200 through a
blizzard.  Someone got me a BigMac and a cup of coffee and I remember
collapsing on the bed at the motel.

Bear