SC - My latest feast (and a few comments)

Jennifer Conrad CONRAD3 at prodigy.net
Mon Apr 12 09:08:56 PDT 1999

> Although the recipe packet is a great idea, I am appalled that you had to
> 'clean up' after feast. This is outrageous, IMO!
>
> Ras

We've had this discussion before and I've always been amazed when I hear of
cooks not cleaning up the hall. Of all the feasts I've done I can only remember
one time when I was not allowed to clean the kitchen. It was a 12th Night we
served 500 and I was a bit fried. We came from a small shire where everyone
had to do everything. Now that I'm in a much larger Barony I'm still surprised
at the lack of people who do the "grunt work". There's rarely 10 people doing
90% of the work at events. I do admit that I haven't washed the pots and pans
in a while but most cooks that I know of help clean up.

On another topic: Our 12th Night has now created a tradition in that the
Chivalry cleans the kitchen. It started out as a favor returned to me by
a Viscount where as repayment he was to assist clean up for a 12th Night
feast I was doing. So, good to his word, he walked in with his squires. One
of the squires happened to be a rather lovely lady who's boyfriend was
a knight. She decided he could help. Once he realized the trap he was in he
made his best frend (also a knight) clean. Then this lovely young squire went
out and managed to get every knight on site (except me) cleaning the kitchen.
It was filled with Dukes, Counts and various chivalry washing, mopping, and
having water fights in their best garb. It's been done every year since.
I don't know how many clean the kitchen at other times but I do know of several
who happily serve and don't care what table they do it at. They also clean
the the hall. The Viscount, who is also a Pelican, now has an apron with his
heraldry.

I don't get to help with cleanup as much as I usually do but being Crown keeps
me pretty busy. I have done things like help make omelettes and chop up stuff
if I get the chance. I try to visit the kitchen at least once to let the
staff know that we appreciate what they are doing or even try to give some
advice. But usually I'm called away for some meeting or the other.

The last chance I got to really help was the 12th Night before our Coronation
there were very few people left in the hall and I got to clean the bathrooms
because the lady who was there from out of state was too exhausted to do it.
I enjoyed my last bit of grunt work before people considered me "too important"
to get to do it.

Yours,

Gunthar
Rex Ansteorra (wannabe kitchen drudge)