SC - BOUFeast accounting

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Apr 12 13:59:21 PDT 1999

From: "Bonne of Traquair" <oftraquair at hotmail.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: Re: SC - Blosing money was - Cleaning up.
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:46:16 PDT

>> (Someday I'll tell you of my FIRST event,...
>only 14 showed up! I personally lost 350 (1979) dollars on that
event).
>> Brandu
>> (Not among the "SCADinosaurs", but certainly among the
"SCADeinotheria")

>Oh my GAWD!  That is so bad, do they have stuff in place to see that
others
>(newbies) are not taken advantage of in that way?
>
>Helen

I know acccounting methods of social orgs that my parents belonged to
in that era tended toward everyone pitching in their own money
beforehand, then dividing the take between them afterward, with
surplus going into a little metal tillbox with a key that closely
resembled the keys to diarys.  That is, the lock could be picked with
a paperclip or fork when the little key went missing.  Perhaps the
treasurer put the money into a bank account, but I think usually not.
These days, maintaining our tax-exempt status means groups are much
more precise about accounting for money in order to make proper
reports to the IRS. There's checking accounts and rules and standards
now.

If you volunteer to cook, you should be given the money up front,
based on potential attendees. Try to buy in advance, but not too much
until you are fairly sure of how the hall sold.  If you are cooking an
annual event, it's a good chance you'll sell out early and can then
proceed your merry way to spending every last dime of it.  If you
overspend, the sponsoring group may or may not cover it.  I don't know
the standards on that.  I can't see most groups having a problem
paying for a small overage.

If the overage was an amount directly related to some detail that was
more of an A&S project on the cooks part part than something strictly
necessary for feast, I'd think the cook ought to be willing to cover
it. However, if the overage was due to sudden price changes the cook
couldn't adjust for, or a change in the design of the feast that was
not the cooks idea, the sponsoring group should cover it.