SC - After feast

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Apr 12 16:32:22 PDT 1999

Gunthar apparently forwarded this for Helen:

> > Stew and bread and cheese, plus Pears in syrup for dessert was the menu. And
> only 14 showed up! I personally lost 350 (1979) dollars on that event).
> >
> > Indeed I have come a long way, but what a long strange trip it has been!!
> >
> > Brandu
>
> Oh my GAWD!  That is so bad, do they have stuff in place to see that others
> (newbies) are not taken advantage of in that way?  Also another newbie
> feastocrate advice?
>
> Helen

Around here in リstgardr, not too far from where Brandu lives, we have a
rather simple rule about this: the autocrat eats event losses under most
circumstances (as Brandu apparently did, under conditions I wouldn't
have enforced such a rule for, I might add). This is not as harsh as it
sounds, in practice. It prevents some of the more, um, ill-advised event
plans from reaching beyond the drawing board stage, prevents both the
group and the autocrat from taking excessive financial risks, and
heartily encourages our locals and those who attend our events to make
paid advance reservations.

Generally we simply adjust our budgets repeatedly to reflect the number
of people comitted to coming in advance: for practical purposes we don't
rely on anything but the money sent in with reservations for seed money.
We almost always sell out in advance and we almost always make a small
profit, except on those occasions when we actually run a fundraiser, in
which case we generally raise whacking great wads of cash. Fundraising
activities aren't strictly event profits, though, since they pretty much
have their own separate economic structure. We wouldn't dream of simply
charging some ridiculously high fee and then spend a tenth of it on
food, or anything like that.

As a result it is extremely rare for our Province's rule about event
losses being absorbed by the autocrat to be invoked. I think I hold a
record, as one of the few who actually absorbed an event loss, which I
insisted on paying as a point of honor: $.43

As for the training of new autocrats and kitcheners, there are numerous
people locally who are happy to do this, myself included. Some of them
are even good at it... ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy