SC - long pepper use

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Apr 12 22:52:44 PDT 1999

>This is interesting. Do you have  a period reference which shows long
pepper
>and black pepper being used in the same resipe? Thanks in advance.
>
>Ras
Here you are, My Lord.

 LXXV.  SPECIE NEGRE E FORTE PER ASSAY SAVORE.
   Specie negre e forte per fare savore; toy mezo quarto de garofali e do
onze de pevere e toy arquanto pevere longo e do noce moscate e fa de tute
specie.
 LXXV.  A STRONG BLACK SPICE FOR MANY [?] SAUCES.
   A black strong for making sauces; take an eighth of an ounce of cloves,
two ounces each of pepper and [?] long pepper, and two nutmegs, and make
them all into spice. [trans. DD -- my Italian is not strong, but I assume
that "arquanto" means something to the effect of "the same quantity"]

Ludovico Frati, ed., Libro di Cucina del Secolo XIV, Livorno: Raffaello
Giusti, Editore, 1899, p. 40.  [a Venetian cookbook of the 14th century]

Your humble servant,
Francesco Sirene
David Dendy / ddendy at silk.net
partner in Francesco Sirene, Spicer / sirene at silk.net