SC - Sauces / garlic aoli

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 14 15:21:47 PDT 1999

"Peters, Rise J." wrote:

> >       In October 1998, Adamantius posted the following recipe and comments
> > (somewhat snipped):
> >
> >       **********************************************
> >       Syrosye
> >       "To make a syrosye.  Tak cheryes & do out (th)e stones & grynde hem
> > wel & draw
> >       hem (th)orw a streynoure & do it in a pot.  & do (th)erto whit gres
> > or swete
> >       botere & myed wastel bred, & cast (th)erto good wyn & sugre, & salte
> > it &
> >       stere it wel togedere, & dresse it in disches;  & set (th)eryn clowe
> > gilofre,
> >       & strew sugre aboue."
> >                               Curye On  Inglysch, Book III, Utilis
> > Coquinario,  Ed. Constance B. Hieatt &
> >       Sharon Butler, Oxford University Press, Oxford 1985

> > **************************************
> >
> > Has anyone made this?  What conclusions should we draw regarding
> > texture/thickness from the location of this recipe in CoI, where it is
> > with the blacmaunges?

Possibly that it is a pottage. The blancmanger recipes generally speak
of cooking it till thick or stondynge, sometimes the word "chergeaunt"
is used. They appear to be of a pudding thickness. No such claim is made
in the syroseye recipe -- only that it contains an unspecified amount of
bread crumbs.

One could certainly speculate that the book is ordered in such a way as
to have all the thick pottages together, but one could as easily be
wrong ;  )  . Two recipes prior to the appearance of Syrosye in Utilis
Coquinario, a recipe appears for "a spynee (th)at is a thorne", in which
it is specified that the pottage should be "thikke", followed by a rosye
recipe, in which the ground flowers are thickened with almond milk, with
amydoun, and finally with egg yolks, which I'd suspect would be a thick
pottage. _After_ the syrosye recipe is another flower pottage recipe,
this one made from primroses, which calls for a thickening of bread,
specifically stating it should be chargeaunt.

It seems to be as if the recipe would state if it is meant to be really
thick. I've always made the syrosye only moderately thick, like a thin batter.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com