SC - National Grocery Chains

lilinah@grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Wed Apr 14 17:52:20 PDT 1999

Philippa

Many of the recipes look interesting, and your generousity in sharing is
appreciated.

However, certain characters showed up in my e-mail as upper case Greek Pi
and lower case Greek pi. There is also a smattering of
equal-to-or-less-than signs. I'm assuming they are fractions. If i know
what number they're supposed to be, i can fix the message.

For example, i get;
>First Course
>Asparagi Di Campo
>WARM MARINATED ASPARAGUS
>½ Cup Onion, minced
>2 Tsp. Capers, rinsed & chopped
>1 Tbsp. Lemon juice(Increased for Libbet)
>Salt & pepper
>1 Mint leaf
>1 lb. Thin asparagus
>¼ Cup Butter
>Place onion & salt in a bowl large enough to hold the asparagus.  Mix well &
>let steep for 30 minutes.  Add the capers, lemon juice & mint leaf &
>marinate for at least 1 hour.  Mix thoroughly from time to time.
>Clean and prepare asparagus.  Meanwhile, bring water to a boil & cook the
>asparagus until tender but still
>crisp, about 3 minutes.  Drain.  Toss the still warm asparagus with the
>marinade & add salt & pepper.  Toss gently & serve.

Perhaps this looks ok to you, but i see:

UPPER-CASE-PI Cup Onion, minced
	and
lower-case-pi Cup Butter

I have an additional problem with:
>LAST OF THE CELLAR BREAD
>SPONGE/DOUGH #1
>2½ Tsp. Dry yeast
>½ Cup Warm water (105-115 F)
>½ Cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
>DOUGH #2
>2½ Tsp. Dry yeast
>3 Tbsp. Warm water
>Dough #1
>2 Eggs (@ room temp.)
>1¼ Cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
>¼ Cup Sugar
>¼ Cup Unsalted butter, softened
>DOUGH #3
>2 Eggs (@ room temp)
>3 Egg yolks (@ room temp)
>¾ Tbsp. Honey
>½ Tsp. Vanilla extract
>1 Tsp. Salt
>Dough #2
>1 Cup Unsalted butter, softened
>3 Cup Unbleached all-purpose flour
>¾ Cup Flour for kneading dough

In DOUGH #3, i see:
(equal-to-or-less-than sign) Tbsp. Honey

In Dough #2, i see:
(equal-to-or-less-than sign) Cup Flour for kneading dough

And all parts of the Cellar Bread recipes have a multitude of
UPPER-CASE-PI's and lower-case-pi's for quantities. I assume these
mysterious characters are fractions.

I would appreciate elucidation. Unless, of course, i need to know the
secret handshake and password :-)

Thank you,
Anahita Gaouri bint-Karim al-Fassi