SC - query: Elizabethan jams

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 15 07:10:34 PDT 1999

Greetings good gentles of the Cooks list,

Once again I de-lurk (or come out from under the rock) and pose a small
question.

Yesterday, I wandered into a store I had not previously visited in our
small community, called Cost Plus World Market.  It is in the same
shopping center as Target and Barnes and Noble (a fun place to go waste
time!) and I had never been in.

Inside, I found a lot of the same kind of thing as Pier 1, down the
street, except that they had an extensive collection of imported
specialties such as chocolate, olive oil vinagers, and jellies.

One that caught my eye was a collection of "Elizabethan jellies" in
jars on one shelf.  They had (as I remember) Lemon Curd and Honey,
Orange Curd, Quince and Rose Petal, and some others that I can't think
of right now.  On the label, it gives a -very- brief pseudo-history of
the 16th century, and the item, such as (with quince) the Elizabethans
thought of the quince as the fruit Adam and Eve ate in the Garden of
Eden.

Now my question.  Has anyone tried these?  Are they truly Elizabethan?
Are these items that would be found on Elizabeth's table?

Tyrca

===
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra