SC -German translations, and newby questions

grasse@mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Thu Apr 15 13:16:12 PDT 1999

Hi Anna,

>> I will welcome any of your suggestions or horror stories (only if they
have HAPPY ENDINGS)<<

I chose my first event to autocrat as one in January, so it would stay
small and I could 'ease into it'.  I also did the feast menu, although
someone else was the Kitchen Steward.  We planned for 100.  There was a
spring thaw, and everyone who'd had 'cabin fever' and felt deprived of
SCA events since Nov. came out of the woodwork!  We did go to grocery
stores for more food--since the at-the-door cost was the highest one, it
was OK to pay the grocery store prices rather than the special prices
we'd gotten in the Strip District and at sales before the event.  One of
the meats was rabbit, a case of 50 frozen ones from Wholey's--I figured
1/2 rabbit per person, and was willing to buy any left-overs because some
people 'won't eat bunny'.  We got chicken legs and baked them for those
folks, and the rabbits came out exactly right.  Sob, no left-overs!
(That's the 'horror' part)   We bought ready-made pie crusts for the
extra tarts, and I think the filling was one with dried fruits in
custard--Lombardy Tarts.  Easy to make up once we had the extra
ingredients.  Bread was bought, and I know we had some pork + chicken
pies, too, because that's where the extra legs came from--whole chickens
bought that day rather than just the breasts.

There was a hard-boiled egg/shrimp/black olive in cream sauce (didn't
know it wasn't period) dish that went over rice? noodles?   Probably
broccoli, too.  Salad.  All pretty easy to get extra supplies and cook
up.  The dessert was an angel food cake with fancy fillings, decorations,
and chocolate icing, in honor of Allison's 'late husband' complete with
stories of 'how he died'.

We cooked our little fingers to the bone, but everyone got fed who wanted
food, extra left-overs were devoured by friendly Tuchux, and some folks
still happily remember that long-ago feast.  I know there were a bunch of
peri-oid foods, and some that definately weren't--I think that feast may
have been pre-Cariadoc's cook-book!  Or, my copy, anyway.

The happy ending part is that, since so many came, the event made so much
money I could offer a $60.00 gift certificate to a local armorer to the
winning fighter, as a prize.

Are you doing Fighters' Collegium or Queen's Rapier?  Would love to get
there if I get a ride.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA