SC -Trader Joe's - was National Grocery Chains

Lady Elisabeth pndarvis at execpc.com
Thu Apr 15 14:58:32 PDT 1999

Vicki Strassburg wrote:

> > You couldn't even accomodate your autocrat for a Royal Progress event
> > when asked AT THE BEGINNING OF SERVICE to feed  THIRTY EXTRA PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?!?
>
> I'm not sure I could do what you all do.

A useful bit of wisdom my mom learned from a hundred-year-old lady she
knew, when my mom spoke of something she couldn't, or wouldn't, do. The
lady said, "Honey, you don' know what you wouldn' do. You only know what
you ain't done up til now!"

> I realize your respoinse was
> tongue in cheek (egads - at least I HOPE it was!), but do y'all truly
> realize the type of miracles you pull off on a regular basis? I am agape
> just listening to your stories!

I'm sure you'll have your own war stories to tell sooner than you think!
Yes, my response was in jest, since it did seem like a fairly
unreasonable request to make of the cook at the time. Not that such
things are impossible, but... .

> Actually, in this particular instance, I would have been tempted to say,
> "sure - and which people would you suggest I cut the portions of?" I don't
> think that would have gone over very well, eh?

Some people just have no sense of humor!!!

Actually, that's probably pretty much what I would say. What I would
actually do, probably, is figure out what foods I had the _most_ of, and
offer the autocrat a limited below-the-salt menu from those items. I
know of at least one near-period account of a case where extra guests
were dealt with in this way, too. Rather than try to give each table of
eight half a pie, think where the extra food can conveniently come from,
and serve accordingly. If a table of late arrivals doesn't get all of
the dishes, you really can't louse up everyone else's meal for their
benefit, can you?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy