SC - Re: Borage

David Dendy ddendy at silk.net
Fri Apr 16 23:24:05 PDT 1999

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> She does violets,
> too, I think.  Or maybe it was lilac, but I thought lilac was poison.
> Haven't gotten enough roses blooming to try it, but hope to, one day.

It was most likely violets (or maybe lavender, come to think of it) as
lilacs smell absolutely vile when heated in water. A girlfriend's husband
tried putting some into some potpourri one day, thinking to surprise her.
She was surprised, all right. It smelled a lot like rotting cabbage and
lingered for days.
	FYI on the violets- I am told that violets have a particular
chemical in them that dulls or wears out our scent receptors quickly- if
you wear violet scent, have someone else sniff before you add more, as you
probably can't smell it anymore. I love it myself and am always sad when
it 'fades'.

'Lainie
"Purpure, a dove voant argent, wings addorsed, in chief three violets
slipped and leaved vert"- C'est moi!
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731