SC - big spice question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Apr 17 05:37:41 PDT 1999

- -
>  I haven't found Borage as an herb to buy in a store, but you can find
>the
>  plants at nurseries.  I had a nice start on some last year, but the
>  family feeding the cat while I was at Pennsic didn't bother to water my
>  pricey herb garden start, so I haven't gotten any to try for recipes.
>
>  If you want borage, either plant some yourself, or find a gardener in
>  your group and persuade them to plant the borage seedlings you buy.

You won't usually find borage offered as a dried herb, as it doesn't dry
well, losing its flavour. Seed or plant some, though, and you'll soon have
more than enough -- it self seeds. The fuzzy leaves have a nice cucumbery
taste, good in drinks and also nice chopped fine in a salad. Choose young
leaves, which are not quite as fuzzy, and chp small -- I've discovered not
everyone likes their salad fuzzy ;) The blue flowers are also very
attractive floated in a punchbowl.

Francesco Sirene