SC - another - Rose water question

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 15:31:24 PDT 1999

I guess we are lucky, I've never known a feast not to sell out.
Perhaps not until the week of the event, but still, all seats sold.
Some people may take a chance on winning the waiting list lottery, but
we do not have numbers of people expecting to arrive that day and get
fed along with the planners-ahead.  Of course, we are in an urban
area, and within 30 minutes of any site I'm familiar with will be at
least fast food, if not better.  Even closer to some sites.

>Getting an idea here--there have been a number of feasts, lately, where
>lots more showed up and wanted to be fed.  YMMV, but in AEthelmearc
>people tend to do that.  Now, in Butler, where Anna is located, and at
>some events in Pittsburgh, where I am, there are many places for
>out-board.  For some sites, there's nothing around.

And presumably the people in the area know that, or the flyer should
mention it. So why should anyone knock themselves out for those who
don't A) make reservations or B) bring their own food?

>What would you think of having a late-comer's board, consisting of things
>that could be thrown together on the last day? >snip pre-packaged food versions of some medeval recipes<

>That might teach folks to pre-register!!!!

But it also teaches them to expect a low standard.  Having to fend for
themselves would teach them as well if not better.

>From the sounds of it, when my lord finishes his degree and we move to
parts unknown, I'm gonna have a hard time adjusting to this idea of
feeding people who don't bother to let you know they are coming.

Now, I tell you what I do wish we had at our sites:  a place for off-
board to sit and enjoy the food they brought from home.  Since food is
available close by, people leave during feast.  And then, since they
are halfway to home, they go home.  Dancing and bardic after feast are
sparsely attended because the day trippers all leave just after court.

Bonne