SC - Feeding servers

Michelle Groulx dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Apr 18 10:02:50 PDT 1999

>This practice of clean as you cook gives all the more credence to asking
>a group of OTHER people come in afterwards to clean what is left.  If I
>am in the kitchen cooking for 12 hours, and cleaning as I go, I believe
>that someone else needs to provide additional assistance to my staff to
>cleanup the remnants of service and leftovers.  We've done our 12 hours
>cook/clean.  It does not seem unreasonable to ask assistance after that.

Well I've done it where I help some, go to see some piece of the event, or meet
a friend (in a lull or something), then come back when I know they'll need more
help etc. too.  And after the feast is over, helped with the final clean up.  I
suppose it's how much you can offer and when, and what seems reasonable and
fair.  Also there's the added plus if you help during the prep. of seeing how
the cooks do it.  Which isn't a chore!!! :-)

>When I am not preparing or helping in the kitchen, I see offering after the
>feast to help clean as a respectful gesture to the kitcheners in
>appreciation of their day-long efforts.  I think it is one of then most
>honorable accolades that people can afford a feast staff.

Couldn't agree more.  For someone to take over the clean-up at that point must
be heaven!  And it is one of the most sincere ways of showing ones appreciation
for their hard labours.

Elysant