SC - Anybody Home?

MAGGIE SECARA SECARAM at mainsaver.com
Wed Apr 21 10:49:26 PDT 1999

Since nobody has tried answering this publicly, Renata, I'll start.  (Been
having mailer trouble and I cannot seem to get things out; let's see if
responding to the list works.)

First, find out if your King has any eating restrictions.  These can be
religious (no pork or shellfish); allergy-based (whatever); or preferential
(no red meat; vegetarian; veggies-are-what-food-eats).  This will help
design your meal.  If he likes bread, a mini-loaf is nice; if he is a
basic-food person, plain meat and simple veggies are better.  If he's like
our devoted List Papa, then you can pretty much try anything you like!

Then, figure out what YOU would like to eat, since there doesn't seem to be
much cooking-for-one in medieval recipes (unless you are a very BIG one) and
you will end up with the leftover portions, be it bread or half a chicken or
three of four gallons of stew.

Remember that since the dishes must be frozen, they should be the kind that
freeze well.  Avoid anything too dairy-heavy as they don't tend to freeze
well.  Some other things get mushy or weird if frozen, you might do a trial
or ask a more experienced cook.  WRAP anything VERY well, in some
moisture-barrier stuff (foil, glazed paper, etc.), and LABEL it as to
contents and reheating instructions.  Either slip this in between wrappings
or duct tape it to the outside of the package.

If you want suggestions for things that freeze well, it would help to know
what resources you have, but assuming the Miscellany is among them, try
Islamic (Moorish? Icelandic? that one with sage and bacon, wrapped in dough)
Chicken with a mini-bird; the chicken-stuffed-with-garlic-and-grapes, also
with a mini-bird; beef or venison with Aliper Sauce; macrows; armored neeps;
glazed carrots; grene pesen; spinach tarte (a mini or a wedge).  If he is
adventurous, one or two of the Islamic dishes on a bed of rice would be
lovely.

						---= Morgan (also single, so
I'm used to this)

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
	           |/ margolh at nortelnetworks.com <mailto:margolh at nt.com>  *
Hablutzel at compuserve.com <mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com>
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

Red meat is NOT bad for you. Now blue-green meat, THAT'S bad for you!
                                                           --Tommy Smothers

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!