SC - My first time..

Amanda B. Humphrey kwah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 21 11:42:25 PDT 1999

I've been following this whole thread with some amusement living here
in what people consider the most Texan of Texas, Dallas. The fact is
that it is rare indeed to find a decent bowl of chili in this town.
I've even been to Tolbert's Chili Emporium and not had real chili. You
can get something similar in a few of the true Mexican places. Yesterday
I went and had a wonderful Guisada Puerco in this little hole-in-the-wall
where most people had English as a second language. This same place
also offers tongue, tripe, and liver dishes. All wonderful stuff. But no
real chili.

Even at the Terlingua Chli Championships (The Indy 500 of chili cooks) most
chili is meat, tomatoes, peppers, cumin, liquid (usually beer or tequila),
and spices. Chili with beans is accepted but is considered in bad form.
Another common chili dish is the "Frito Pie". Basically a bag of fritos corn
chips is torn open and then chili is ladled over the chips and topped with
shredded cheese and onion. It's a little league standard and even served
as school lunches.

As for the Buffalo Wing controversy. I'm with you guys. The best hot wings
I've had are true Buffalo Wings. Plain wings deep fried with no batter and
then sauteed in a sauce of margarine and tobasco. Served with real bleu
cheese dressing and celery sticks. Nothing compares. Everything else is just
a pale imitation. Maybe I'll make some later and drive Sara out of the house.
The smell of so much vinegary tobasco sauce drives her nuts. :-{)}

Yours,

Gunthar