SC - Greetings and Chicken

Wendy penguin2 at telusplanet.net
Wed Apr 21 19:31:41 PDT 1999

"Amanda B. Humphrey" wrote:

> I am
> looking for a reference to radishes being period.  I am currently preparing
> an art/sci entry and need to document the things I am using for my
> soltetie.  I have thus far been able to find turnips, and apples, and
> parsley, etc.  But radishes seem to elude me at every turn.  Could someone
> suggest a book or web site or just a bibliography type reference that
> mentions radishes?

They appear in 14th-century English recipes as rafens (from the Latin
raphanus), and as radich (es) . Check out Constance Hieatt's and Sharon
Butler's "Curye On Inglysch", published by the Oxford University Press
for the Early English Text Society in 1985; it contains an excellent
glossary of Middle English culinary terms, with an entry on rafens.
There may or may not be similar information somewhere in "Pleyn Delit"
by the same authors. (Not that Hieatt and Butler wrote the manuscripts
transcribed in either of the books, but they wrote more of "Pleyn Delit".)

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com