SC - Its All Geography (Was: Carne con chile)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Apr 21 21:51:30 PDT 1999

Balano1 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/20/99 12:42:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca writes:
>
> << I am interested Adamantius, in this Rheinheitsgebot that was enforced as
>  "law" for centuries. Wassthat? >>
>
> I'm sure Adamantius will have a more detailed explanation but Rheinheitsgebot
> is still law in Germany.  Beer is only allowed to be brewed from 4
> ingredients - no preservatives.
>
>  - Sister Mary Endoline
>    Royal Chessmen, Inc.
>    Cook's Guild Mistress
>     Southern Florida

That about says it all. I gather it is no longer strictly enforced as
law, so you occasionally see items like roasted, unmalted barley showing
up, not to mention wheat malt for wheat beers that go way back in
history, too, in spite of the law. But yes, this was law (although it's
been suggested that the issue was not so much purity of the beer, as is
often assumed today, but protecting preferred grains like wheat and rye
from being used for brewing when they ought to be used for food), and
violators were punished in a variety of ways.

I belive active enforcement ended sometime in the 19th century...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com