SC - naming tables?

Peggy A. Stonnell izzie at vcn.bc.ca
Wed Apr 21 21:52:50 PDT 1999

Wendy,  welcome to SCA cooks.  You will find people here who have been
cooking period foods/feasts for many years, and others, like you, who
are on their first few dishes.  Please don't let yourself be
discouraged or outraged by what seems like criticism.  For many of us
this is our passion and fascinating hobby.  Like many dedicated
hobbyists, we find it hard to understand why others aren't as
fascinated with all aspects of it as we are.  Your chicken sounded
delicious,  comments about it not being period aren't meant to suggest
it is not.  It's only that many of us are on a treasure hunt, and the
prize is a perfectly worked out dish, that is equally delicious.
Also we aren't suggesting you teach yourself 13th century Arabic so
you can read the original and work the recipe out from there.  Someone
else has already done that, and you can find their translation in Duke
Cariadoc's books along with kitchen tested 20th century English
recipes!
If you never want to work out a recipe from an original, you will have
plenty of period food to cook, but you never know, you might just
catch the redacting bug and add to the body of knowledge we are
building!

Try a redacted medieval recipe, you may like it better, and how will
you know if you don't try?

Regina Romsey