SC - Greetings and Chicken

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Apr 21 23:58:40 PDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:42:25 -0400 "Amanda B. Humphrey"
<kwah at earthlink.net> writes:
>Hello everyone.
>My name is Amanda, I am Lady Bebhinn from Trimaris.  I have been a
>subscriber for the past month and I just wanted to tell you all how
>wonderful all your posts are.
>
>You are all so helpful and always seem to know where to find things. I
am
>looking for a reference to radishes being period.  I am currently
preparing
>an art/sci entry and need to document the things I am using for my
>soltetie.  I have thus far been able to find turnips, and apples, and
>parsley, etc.  But radishes seem to elude me at every turn.  Could
someone
>suggest a book or web site or just a bibliography type reference that
>mentions radishes?
>
>Thank you.
>Lady Bebhinn O'Siodhachain
>Shire of Starhaven
>Kingdom of Trimaris

Greetings Lady Bebhinn O'Siodhachain,
I have scanned my collection of recipes and have selected all of the
period recipes that contain Radishes.
Enjoy.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Kitchen Steward of Household Port Karr
Kingdom of An Tir in the Society for Creative Anachronism.
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com, (www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1709)

	Pynade
	Curye on Inglysch p. 79 (Diuersa Servicia no. 91)
	For to make a pynade, tak hony and rotys of radich & grynd yt
smal in a morter, & do to + at hony a quantite of broun sugur. Tak powder
of peper & safroun & almandys, & do al togedere. Boyl hem long & held yt
on a wet bord & let yt kele, & messe yt & do yt forth.
	1/2 c honey
	4 radishes = 2 1/2 oz
	1/2 c brown sugar
	1/2 t pepper
	10 threads saffron
	1 c slivered almonds
	Cut radish up small, put in the spice grinder (a miniature
blender) with 1/4 c honey or in a mortar and grind small. Slightly crush
the almonds. Mix all ingredients in a small pot. Simmer, stirring, until
candy thermometer reaches between 250deg. and 270deg. . Dump out in
spoonfuls onto a greased marble slab or a wet cutting board--the latter
works if you have gotten up to 270deg. but sticks at 250deg. . Let it
cool.
	I got it to 270deg. without serious scorching by stirring
continuously near the end. When it cools fully, the 250deg. is firm but
chewable, the 270deg. between chewable and crunchy.
	Salmon with Spices and Prunes, Whole Baked
	From "The Tudor Kitchen's Cookery Book" Hampton Court Palace;
Printed in The Oregonian Newspaper Food Day Mar 10, 1998.
	Salmon was popular in Tudor England. However, if you want to be
more authentic, order a carp from your fishmonger.
	1 whole fresh salmon or carp, 2 to 3 lb., gutted and cleaned (2
lb. without head)
	6 TB butter softened
	2 tsp. ground mace
	12 whole cloves
	Salt to taste
	Pepper to taste
	Garnish:
	Whole cooked prunes
	A few currants
	fresh lemon wedges
	Salad leaves
	Green onions
	Radishes
	Fresh dill
	Lay the fish on a large, greased sheet of foil set on a baking
sheet. Mix the butter with the mace and salt and spread on the inside
cavity and over the skin. Sprinkle with cloves, then wrap the foil up
loosely but sealing well. Bake at 350 deg for about 30 to 45 minutes
depending on the size, until the fish is tender but still feels quite
firm when pressed near the backbone. If the flesh is pale pink, then it
is cooked. Allow to stand for 5 minutes before dishing into larger
platter with the fish juices poured over, garnish with some whole cooked
prunes, a few currants scattered over, lemon wedges, salad leaves, green
onions and dill.
	Compost
	Forme of Cury 103. Copyright 1997 by L. J. Spencer, Jr. (a.k.a.
Lord Ras al Zib) Posted by Lord Ras (LrdRas at aol.com). Reposted by
Bronwynmgn (Bronwynmgn at aol.com)
	Take rote of parsel, of pasternak, rafens, scrape hem and waische
hem clene. Take rapes & caboches, ypared and icorue. Take an erthen panne
with clene water & set it on the fire; cast all (th)ise (th)erinne. When
(th)ey buth boiled cast (th)erto peeres, & perboile hem wel. Take alle
(th)ise thynges vp & lat it kele on a faire cloth. Do (th)erto salt; whan
it is colde, do hit in a vessel; take vinegar & powdour & safroun & and
do (th)erto, & lat alle (th)ise thynges lye (th)erin al ny(gh)t, o(th)er
al day. Take wyne greke & honey, clarified togider; take lumbarde mustard
& raisouns coraunce, al hoole, & gynde powdour of canel, powdour douce,
anys hole, & fenell seed. Take alle (th)ise thynges & castt togyder in a
pot of erthe, & take (th)erof whan (th)oui wilt & serue forth.
	There is a redaction in 'Pleyn Delit which, IMHO, deviates away
from the original in very significant ways so I am not posting it. My
translation and redaction follows:
	Take parsley root, parsnips, radishes, scrape them and wash them
clean. Take turnips and cabbages, pared and cored. Take an earthen pan
with clean water and set it on the fire; cast all this therein. When they
both boiled cast therein pears, and parboil them well. Take all these
things up and let it cool on a fair cloth. Do thereto salt; when it is
cold, do it in a vessel; take vinegar and powder and saffron and do
thereto, and let all these things lie therein all night, other(wise) all
day. Take Greek wine and honey, clarified together; take Lumbard mustard
and raisins of Corinth (currants ?), all whole, and grind powder of
cinnamon, powder douce, anys whole, & fennel seed. Take alle these things
and cast together in a pot of earth, & take thereof when thou wilt and
serve it forth.
	1/2 cup parsley root, peeled and diced
	6 parsnips, peeled and diced
	1 medium black radish, peeled and diced
	1 lb. turnips, peeled and diced
	1 gallon cabbage, cored and chopped
	2 quarts winter pears, peeled, cored and chopped
	Salt
	1 bottle Retsina (Greek wine)
	2 cups honey
	2 quarts cider vinegar
	Powder:
	1 cup sugar
	1 Tbs. ground cloves
	1 Tbs. ground cinnamon
	2 Tbs. ground ginger)
	1 tsp. saffron
	1/2 cup ground white mustard (the supermarket variety)
	1 lb. dried currants
	1 tsp. cinnamon
	Powder douce:
	1 cup sugar
	1 tsp. ground cloves
	2 tsp. ground cinnamon
	2 tsp. ground ginger
	1 Tbs. ground cubebs (opt.)
	2 tsp. ground galingal (opt.)
	1 Tbs. grains of Paradise (opt.)
	1 tsp. aniseed
	1 tsp. fennel seed
	Place parsley root, parsnips, radishes, turnips and cabbage in a
non-reactive kettle (e.g. enamel, glass, or Teflon. Cover with water.
Bring to a boil. Add pears. Reduce heat to medium and cook until pears
are barely tender. Drain; spread on a cloth. Sprinkle with a substantial
amount of salt and leave until cold. While mixture is cooling, bring wine
and honey to a boil, removing the scum as needed. When the scum stops
rising remove from heat. Put cooled cabbage mixture into a non-reactive
kettle. Add vinegar, powder and saffron. Let sit in a cool place for 12
hours. Add remaining ingredients to the wine/honey mixture, stirring well
to make sure that the sugar is dissolved. Add wine/honey spice mixture to
cabbage/pear mixture and blend carefully. Store in a cool place and use
as needed.
	Compost
	From Hieatt, Constance B. and Butler, Sharon. Curye on Inglish:
English Culinary Manuscripts of the Fourteenth Century (Including the
Forme of Cury). London: For the Early English Text Society by the Oxford
University Press, 1985. Redaction by Master Ian Damebrigge of Wychwood.
Posted by James L. Matterer (jmattere at weir.net)
	Curye on Inglish, p. 120-121: "Take rote of persel, of pasternak,
of rafens, scape hem and waische hem clene. Take rapes & caboches, ypared
and icorue. Take an erthen panne with clene water & set it on the fire;
cast alle thise therinne. Whan they buth boiled cast therto peeres, &
parboile hem wel. Take alle thise thynges vp & lat it kele on a faire
cloth. Do therto salt; whan it is colde, do hit in a vessel; take vyneger
& powdour & safroun & do therto, & lat alle thise thynges lye therin al
nyyt, other al day. Take wyne greke & hony, clarified togider; take
lumbarde mustard & raisons coraunce, al hoole, & grynde powdour of canel,
powdour douce & aneys hole, & fenell seed. Take alle thise thynges & cast
togyder in a pot of erthe, & take therof whan thou wilt & serue forth."
	The following is a modified (but just as tasty) version of the
medieval recipe, containing only the "pasternak" (carrots- from the
botanical "pastinaca"), "caboches" (cabbage), "peeres" (pears) and
"raisons of courace" (currants). The other medieval ingredients are "rote
of persel" (parsley root), "rafens" (radishes), and "rapes" (white
turnip).
	2 lbs. carrots, sliced
	1/2 head cabbage, in small pieces
	3-4 pears, sliced thin
	1 tsp. salt
	6 tblsp. vinegar
	2 tsp. ginger
	few threads saffron
	1 bottle (750 ml.) white wine
	1/2 c. honey
	1 tblsp. mustard seed
	3/4 c. currants
	1 tsp. cinnamon
	1/2 tblsp. each anise seed & fennel seed
	Boil the carrots and cabbage for several minutes, then add the
pears. Cook until tender; drain well. Lay vegetables and pears in a
large, flat, non-metallic dish. Sprinkle on the salt. Let cool, then
sprinkle on the vinegar, ginger, and saffron. Cover with a cloth and let
stand for several hours or overnight. When ready, mix the vegetables with
the currants and the seeds. Place in a sealable container and set aside.
In a separate pot, bring the honey, cinnamon, and wine to a boil,
skimming off the scum until clear. Remove from heat and pour over the
vegetable mixture. Let cool and seal. May be stored for a week or more.
Serves 12.