SC - Saffron

Stephanie Rudin srudin at okom.net
Thu Apr 22 08:23:29 PDT 1999

> My point is that a label like "chili" is useful only as far as a name
> goes. It helps to classify the dish.
> I suppose I could call it "Spicey stew of Ground beef and beans with chile
> and garlic"
> "Chili" means the same thing to me, and says it in a lot less time!.
>

> brandu

Actually, you might try "Chile Spiced Meat Stew."  Traditional Southwestern
chilis are usually made of whatever meat is available.    Properly, the
frijoles are cooked separately.  The beans are then served in bowls with a
topping of chili.

Posole, hominy stew flavored with pork, is often served in the same manner,
topped with Carne Adovada, marinated pork in chile sauce.

Chili gets its start as "poor man's fare" in the US Southwest and Northern
Mexico and appears not to have travelled widely until recently.  Beef chili
appears to get its big push with the rise of the Texas cattle industry.

This discussion and a rather glutinous canned chili at a restuarant last
night have reminded me I have beef roast and pork tenderloin hiding in the
freezer.  It's not venison and javelina, but it will do.  Chili con carne,
frijoles de olla, a little chipotle salsa to mix in, sounds like a nativo
Saturday supper to me.  And, yes, Margaret, I'll make the chili mild, just
for you.  The chipotle salsa is for me.

Bear