SC - Questions on Sekainjabin

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Fri Apr 23 17:16:29 PDT 1999

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Rebecca Haines wrote:

> I understand that a lot of women in Georgia eat cake mix for the same
> reason.  Whether or not they eat dirt, clay, or cake mix is a question that
> any good midwife will ask, as it does say something about the nutritional
> state of the mother.
>
> Marie-Alexandra

Long ago and far away, in another life (or so it seems sometimes) I was a
student midwife, and the women I was training under said that the
compulsive eating of non-food items indicated a mineral imbalance, usually
calcium, iron, or zinc. Occaisionally sodium. Except for one woman who had
psychiatric problems, all of them were resolved with diet adjustments
and/or vitamin and mineral supplements.

How did we get on the subject, anyway?

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731