SC - SC: wayward peas

Butterfield, Margaret msbutterfield at mail.aacc.cc.md.us
Mon Apr 26 04:10:04 PDT 1999

Saffron crocus is a fall bloomer.  It looks like a regular crocus except it
has three long, very red "strings" hanging out of it.  The blooms should be
plucked the first day they come out and the saffron threads should be
carefully removed and set to dry.  One plant can bloom 4 to 5 times a
season.  I have tried removing the saffron threads while leaving the bloom
on the plant and ended up breaking off the threads and the plant was
satisfied that it did it's job so never made another bloom that season.