SC - gardening question

Kathleen M Hogan kathleen.hogan at juno.com
Tue Apr 27 08:45:14 PDT 1999

> I too have been in quest for the period bread-rising agent -- ale barm and
> still plan to start brewing to have a ready supply.

	<trim>
> Also don't try to make cheese at the same time as bolting the flour.  My
> fresh cheese was described by A&S judges as having a "yeasty" taste --
> wonder where that came from ; )
>
> Laura
> rygbee at montana.com

Ale barm as a leavening agent is most common in English recipes.  Most of
Europe appears to have used dough from a previous baking or a sourdough
starter for leavening.  In fact, in France, the use of ale barm by bakers
was prohibit until the 18th Century.

Mixing water and flour causes an amylase reaction which produces maltose and
glucose, food for the yeasty beasties.  Apparently you got enough flour dust
in the cheese to produce a significant reaction.  Leavened cheese, what a
concept.

Thank you for sharing the information on your boulting experiment.

Bear