SC - period fruit pastries

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Apr 28 12:39:23 PDT 1999

At 8:47 AM -0700 4/28/99, lilinah at grin.net wrote:
>OK, i'm new here, and after all this drama, i'm foolhearty enough to request:
>Please let me in on this great mystery...

Cuskynoles are a recipe in _Curye on Inglysche_ from a late 13th c. source.
They are, so far as I know, the only recipe in the whole 13th-15th c.
French/English corpus that come with an illustration, a drawing that is
supposed to show how they are made.

Adamantius and I had a long exchange some time back over our differing
interpretations of the recipe. The disagreement concerns not the
ingredients but how they are assembled. My version works; I assume his
version works, although I haven't tried it. My essential argument is that
his version is inconsistent with the drawing and text; he disagrees. The
dispute has become a byword for lengthy and passionate disagreement over
how a recipe ought to be interpreted. We're still friends.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/