SC - Pigs for Pennsic.

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Wed Apr 28 12:26:10 PDT 1999

>Just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten your query about the name of
>the veggie gelatin.  It's just that I remember it here at work and not at
>home!  I'm calling my voice mail now to leave myself a message.

Agar (sometimes written agar-agar) is a seaweed based gelatin. It stays
gelled at high temperatures, so it is used in the tropics, unlike animal
based gelatin which melts is the room is warm. Agar can often be found at
Chinese. Japanese, and other Asian food markets or in the foreign food
aisle of the supermarket.

I've seen it in two forms - long narrow rectangular blocks and flakes.
Sometimes some of the blocks are bright red, but usually it is colorless
(looks whitish).

It is soaked in cool or warm water until it dissolves (maybe it has to be
simmered... it's been a while since i used it. They are usually directions
on the package). It is easy to use, doesn't have a seaweed smell, is
flavorless, and will gel at room temperature. It often sets up a little
firmer than animal gelatin.

Lilinah