SC - Re: can we help this gentle?

Diana Haven tantra at optonline.net
Thu Apr 29 15:25:58 PDT 1999

>...Seriously, though, is there any efficient method for
organizing
>inexperienced servers (at the moment I have two lined up, which is
two more then I
>expected to have in advance), that preserves both the ceremony and
the integrity of
>the feast?

Educate every server that you do know about in advance. Just before
the feast is not the time to try to explain everything to all the
servers.  Explain to those you do expect, then a quickie explanation
and the instruction do what so and so does will at least be available
to the last minute volunteers.

Write out your plans for service and for schtick if schtick is
expected. If you aren't the cook, be sure you and the cook are on the
same wavelength before making plans with anyone else! Keep the
description to a few points, not long drawn out instructions lest you
overwhelm and frighten the servers away. E-mail or give a copy to the
servers you know of.  Ask for and expect feedback and adjust your plan
accordingly.

My "plan" as was given to my head server and my daughter in advance,
was nothing more than a list of priorities.

1. No one should want for water to drink.  Ice water available before
feast and kept available during feast.
2. Courses served as groups of dishes as a result of learning how much
having dishes trickle out one by one annoys the Baron.
3. dirty dishes brought back before more food sent out.
4. leftovers dealt with as we go.
5. someone will be washing up during feast.
6. serving is more than carrying food out and empty trays back.
servers will be helping prep the food beforehand and deal with food
brought back to the kitchen.

I had some hoped for schtick and had discussed it with the head
server. It involved serving a dragon subtlety and the baron demanding
someone taste this new and dangerous food.  His page is quite a little
actor and would have stolen the show risking his life for his Knight
by tasting.  But the page didn't show and the dish that would prompt
it turned into a simple roast chicken because of modern complications,
so, it didn't happen.

You know, I've never posted a feast report from my event two weeks
ago.  Got caught up in all the existing discussion.  I'll post one
tonight.

Bonne